Second City Tavern
Enter the world of adventure and fortune. Play as one of the great clans of Rokugan, perhaps even someone or something else, and help us create the world we inhabit here.

Become something more.
Second City Tavern
Enter the world of adventure and fortune. Play as one of the great clans of Rokugan, perhaps even someone or something else, and help us create the world we inhabit here.

Become something more.
Second City Tavern
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Were you born to become great? Let's find out.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» lets get a game cookin right here in the forum!
Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime23rd March 2014, 11:53 pm by Daikichi

» Video Xxx Follando A Una Huancaina
Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime19th December 2013, 6:22 am by 

» Video Xxx Follando A Una Huancaina
Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime19th December 2013, 6:22 am by 

» One Piece Kaizoku Musou Pc
Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime19th December 2013, 5:57 am by 

» Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...
Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime20th February 2013, 9:02 pm by Daikichi

» Map of Rokugan
Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime17th December 2012, 5:22 am by Kitsuki Kyo

» Toritaka Temba
Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime16th December 2012, 6:10 am by Kitsuki Kyo

» Character Application (WIP)
Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime3rd September 2012, 2:16 am by Kitsune Shuzo

» Character Template
Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 4:03 pm by unrealistic.entity

Similar topics

Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...

Go down 
    5 posters
    AuthorMessage
    Daikichi

Daikichi

Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Empty
    PostSubject: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime18th September 2012, 9:11 pm

So I've been working on my own L5R game for a few weeks now, and my small ideas mixed with a few of your suggestions and some lumped together inspiration has created something which I think could be a diverse and intriguing campaign. I haven't finished enough of it to cover my bases and start play, but I'm excited enough that I wanted to start a dialogue with those who want to play and make sure you're all informed about what your characters will be getting into with this campaign.

To start, here's an explanation of how I perceive court, as well as a fairly lengthy accompaniment about how your character can excel in this adventure. I'm going to shrink it into a openable box so this post doesn't seem too intimidating.

Spoiler:

Questions and character concepts are well received. Lay them on me.

My next big post will be in regards to me working together with you to give your character a goal to work with over the course of the campaign.
    Back to top Go down
    Kitsuki Kyo

Kitsuki Kyo

PostSubject: Re: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime16th December 2012, 5:06 am

Well Daikichi-sama, I am most displeased the others have not yet taken advantage into this little insight offered by the DM about the game. Personally I rather enjoy your take on the system and I think I'll be posting up a rough outline for a future character I will probably play. You can give me a little review if you feel like.

Dylan has already expressed interest in playing and I think others will probably join on. You've got a cool idea from what I've heard so far and I'm actually pretty hopeful this gets off the ground.
    Back to top Go down
    Daikichi

Daikichi

PostSubject: Re: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime16th December 2012, 7:50 pm

Why thank you Bones. You’re interest in the campaign has somewhat revitalized my own. To commemorate that, I’ll be making that fabled “second post” that I talked about at the end of the opening one there.

Again, shrunk down so that it’s not as intimidating...

Spoiler:

If you guys have any questions about this stuff, smack them my way and I’ll address them promptly.

My next big post will be about reusing characters and the timeframe for when we’ll actually start playing this game.
    Back to top Go down
    Kitsuki Kyo

Kitsuki Kyo

PostSubject: Re: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime16th December 2012, 8:20 pm

Personal Goal is actually a very interesting system and would probably encourage people to focus more on what their characters want to do rather then just come up with tangential things. I actually really like that as a house rule. Hrm.

Overall I like how you're trying to make sure people are prepared storywise/character wise and that you're embracing the RP side a bit more for any characters.

Also I am going to single handedly make this site popular if I have to. Mad
    Back to top Go down
    Yoritomo Yoichi

PostSubject: Re: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime17th December 2012, 5:57 am

so we can play whatever we like.

courtiers on deck bushi on ice.

i just wanna be yoichi forever. he will make winter court the funnest place.

But really, you mentioned the cold being an issue before. About how much are you expecting the game to be a treacherous weather and how much will be treacherous court?
    Back to top Go down
    Daikichi

Daikichi

PostSubject: Re: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime17th December 2012, 8:07 am

I kind of jumped the gun when I revealed the weather stuff to you guys. I intended for it to be a bit more of a surprise, but it’s not so bad that you know about it. My intention is for the hard survival stuff to only happen for maybe the first four or so sessions. The whole point of getting stranded in the snow is that your characters probably aren’t adequately prepared for it. You’re not ready to camp and survive in the wilderness, you’re ready to spend three months schmoozing in a building with other courtiers.

That being said, I don’t want to stop you from making a character who knows how to survive if that’s what you want to do. But I intend for sessions five through nine to be mostly about social workings, so a bear grylls kit may end up not getting used much through there. While survival skills are going to mesh well with the beginning portion of the game, you’ll probably have a much easier time making survival checks then you will making courtier checks sans having put points in either.

On the subject of playing Yoichi: I actually think that it would be really cool to just port Yoichi over into a new adventure, assuming that he survives. My campaign takes place in the following winter after Dave’s, so it’d make sense that Yoichi would be coming back over the mountains and heading off to his next assignment. I think one thing that’ll end up coming up is fairness within the campaign though, as Yoichi will probably be close to, or at “Rank 6” by the end of Dave’s campaign. One way that we could deal with that is to challenge Yoichi with tasks that are over the rest of the party’s head.

My prospective idea is to make players who wish to reuse characters from other campaigns take one or two rather lofty Personal Goals, the consequences of success or failure for which would be much more scary than those set for a Rank 1 character, and also no Insight bonus would be available to you for completing them.

Another idea would be to cut a higher ranked character’s experience by a certain amount. So for instance: If you’re reusing a character, for every rank above the next highest party member you are you are you get -1 exp per session, to a minimum of 2. Assuming that’s the formula we use, until someone managed to rank up to school rank 3, you would likely get 2 exp a session while everyone else gets 6.

The first idea would mainly be there to engage Yoichi with a challenge that may consume him beyond what the rest of the party is doing, and the second would be to make sure that his progression is stunted slightly so that other characters have a chance to catch up to him. But again all of it is prospective, and I need to make sure that other players are cool with reuse and let them state their cases for or against it before final decisions are made.
    Back to top Go down
    Kitsuki Kyo

Kitsuki Kyo

PostSubject: Re: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime17th December 2012, 8:26 am

Personally? While I love those characters I kind of want their fate to be solely left to Dave and that campaign. And Dave has expressed ideas about maybe, after we take a few weeks break, coming back with new interesting challenges for our Ivory Kingdom gang. It might be nice to have them make small cameos as NPCs or mentioned in passing conversation but I feel it makes the group tighter when we all start off at one place and advance together, Rank 1.

That's my personal preference tho.

I do like to keep the universe fluid and together though. I want Dave and Jon's games to be taking place in similar time frames or having some shared themes. Gives it a feeling of overarching unity in our group of friends.
    Back to top Go down
    unrealistic.entity

unrealistic.entity

PostSubject: Re: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime17th December 2012, 8:31 am

I'mma have to agree with Corey. I absolutely adore the idea of having our characters be able to adventure, but based on Dave's campaign Tyuki is, hopefully, going to become the Master of the Void for our Rokugani world. heartshape

So it'd be weird to have her running around with newbies, imho.

If that even happens, I guess.. Haha.

Gots lot of work to do with her! :3

But, yeah it was a good idea.

:3
    Back to top Go down
    https://secondcitytavern.board-directory.net
    Daikichi

Daikichi

PostSubject: Re: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime17th December 2012, 8:47 am

Kitsuki Kyo wrote:
    ...Dave has expressed ideas about maybe, after we take a few weeks break, coming back with new interesting challenges for our Ivory Kingdom gang.

O RLY?

That puts a bit of a damper on some of my ideas. If we end up continuing to run with Dave's group I doubt there'll be a whole lot of room for one of my own. I was kind of thinking of suggesting a segue into this campaign so that we had something to look forward to and pick up after his is done, but I don't want to flex him out of his timeslot if he wants to keep the jeep riding. Guess we'll just have to figure out what he wants to do.

I hear your guy's opinions, and they are things I've also thought about. Bones is right, a party usually ends up closer together when they mesh and grow as a party. And to Chelle, there's nothing stopping you from making a new character.

My rebuttal is this: What if Dylan ends up wanting to just make Yoichi, or a character very similar in style? Wouldn't it then just be prudent to allow him to play the character he obviously wants to play instead of asking him to make a carbon copy?
    Back to top Go down
    Kitsuki Kyo

Kitsuki Kyo

PostSubject: Re: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime17th December 2012, 8:51 am

There's nothing srs on the table yet and we still have like 6-8 weeks to finish the campaign we're already in. I think Dave will also be as glad as we are to take a break.

And I'm sure Dylan has cool ideas he could try out but I get what you mean, what if he's too attached to Yoichi and doesn't want to make someone new. Hrm. It'll be up to him of course.
    Back to top Go down
    Yoritomo Yoichi

PostSubject: Re: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime17th December 2012, 8:54 am

i'm fine either way. if i'd be the only one carrying over i probably wont tho.
    Back to top Go down
    Daikichi

Daikichi

PostSubject: Re: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime17th December 2012, 8:58 am

I just thought of this: What if my campaign happened in shorter bursts?

Since my first adventure is probably going to take five weeks maximum, and it's already done, we could play it while Dave figures out his next move. Then he can take the timeslot back and do what he wants, while I prepare another four or five session adventure to serve as the next leg of my camp. It'd be like leapfrog, but my leaps will be shorter then his.

Am I a genius?

I think I'm a genius.
    Back to top Go down
    Kitsuki Kyo

Kitsuki Kyo

PostSubject: Re: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime17th December 2012, 9:19 am

I honestly thought that's what the game would be, heh. But it sounds like it'll be a cool way to do things if Dave is down with that.
    Back to top Go down
    Kitsune Shuzo

Kitsune Shuzo

PostSubject: Re: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime17th December 2012, 10:19 am

Sounds like a good plan to me.
    Back to top Go down
    Kitsuki Kyo

Kitsuki Kyo

PostSubject: Re: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime18th December 2012, 11:24 am

Casey! If you're looking for one thing to do that might be some fun and give people some free things, you could always use the Heritage Tables in the back of Great Clans.

Players roll on tables built for their characters clan and can have good, bad or mix things happen for their characters. From random rolls you can get Advantages, Disadvantages, Skills and some cheaper stuff too.

EDIT

I also found an appropriate advantage for starting out with a Falcon for my Toritaka. You can read up about it on his App.
    Back to top Go down
    Daikichi

Daikichi

PostSubject: Re: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime3rd January 2013, 7:03 pm

Hmmh, I don't have that book so I can't say for sure, but the heritage tables sound more like something you'd use to expedite or randomize character creation. If i get a hold of that book, I'll definitely look into utilizing it though.

Edit: I just found a PDF of Great Clans and looked that the tables. They're actually kind of interesting. I'm going to go over them more thoroughly to make sure there's no hiccups, but if anyone wants to try this out I'd be willing to utilize it.
    Back to top Go down
    Kitsuki Kyo

Kitsuki Kyo

PostSubject: Re: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime5th January 2013, 3:05 pm

Yeah, I felt like the Ancestors are pretty cool and give people a firmer sense of depth to the universe. I can try them out with you on one of the Roll20 Apps if you like, roll some dice to pick one of the outcomes?

Oh. And finally I have a site with a lot of Real World Japanese Ghosts; Obakemono. Just some random ghosts and demons and stuff if you're interested in them.
    Back to top Go down
    Daikichi

Daikichi

PostSubject: Re: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime6th January 2013, 6:01 pm

i can't see the link, it says admins only

is it that yokai database from before?
    Back to top Go down
    Kitsuki Kyo

Kitsuki Kyo

PostSubject: Re: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime6th January 2013, 6:02 pm

I wonder what that is about. :I And yeah, the Yokai thing from before. Just making sure.
    Back to top Go down
    Daikichi

Daikichi

PostSubject: Re: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime11th January 2013, 4:03 am

Yeah! Actually, looking at the posts in that index gave me a lot of ideas for this campaign. The first adventure is going to have a lot of super natural happenings having to do with a couple different kinds of yokai, while the later adventures are going to level out into the mundane with super natural elements kind of peppered in. But my BBEG for the whole arc of the campaign is totes supernatural and I think he'll be pretty surprising too.
    Back to top Go down
    Daikichi

Daikichi

PostSubject: Re: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime20th February 2013, 9:02 pm

Alright, well I mentioned that I would make a post about time frames, so here it is.

It's looking like Dave's campaign is coming into it's final huff; next week we either die or live balanced on the edge of Fu Leng's blade. Whatever ends up happening, it's been a great game, and i hope it leads into another great game after Dave's had a little time to recuperate.

But the week after that we depart from the overgrown hamlet of Beiden, and into the treacherous Shemate Pass in the hopes of eventually reaching the Castle in the Canyon, Shemate Keep. I'm not entirely sure who all is wanting to play (everyone from the prior game is welcome to join up), but a few character sheets have been made up and submitted to me which I'll list as links below. As more people finish character sheets, i'll update the post to include them.

What Else Falls in Winter: The Principal Cast
    • Shosuro Seiko: A treacherous actor. Does he hold secrets that not even he understands? Portrayed by Corey
    • Kasuga Ichihara: A stern agent. Will he loosen the chains of his superiors? Portrayed by Jon
    • Mirumoto Wenbo: A bright-eyed sword master. Who's blood could he spill? Portrayed by Dylan
    • Yoritomo Kotaro: A dashing sailor. Is his own ship all he's after? Portrayed by David
    • Ikoma Okami: A commander of subterfuge. Do his goals lie crozzled? Portrayed by Dave.
    • Shosuro Airi: A treasonable woman. Will she be forced to commit seppuku before, or after she falls in love? Portrayed by AJ.
    • Togashi Yuna: A diligent monk. Does she truly wont for so little? Portrayed by 'Chelle.

After next week it'd be great if you guys could let me know what evening's work for you for our first session. I'll make sure to pester you each about it though.
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...   Meanwhile, back in Rokugan... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Meanwhile, back in Rokugan...
    Page 1 of 1